Ski tour Aspen to Vail
January 22 – 27, 2017
Traverse the heart of Colorado’s central Rockies on skis from Aspen to Vail. This upcoming winter, Paragon Guides leads this six day, 100-mile backcountry tour that connects five 10th Mountain Division Huts. The tour honors 10th Mountain Division veteran and hut system founder, Fritz Benedict.
- Ski from 11 to 18 miles each day.
- Huts: Margy’s, Betty Bear, Uncle Bud’s, Jackal, and Shrine Mountain Inn.
- Long days with cold temperatures, pre-dawn starts, trail breaking, and variable snow conditions will demand a high level of fitness and skill.
- Each hut is staffed with hosts who welcome you, keep the fire stoked and water plentiful, and prepare your dinner and breakfasts.
- Backcountry ski touring experience on telemark or AT gear is required. We interview all participants to ensure their fitness and skills match the demands of this trip.
- Cost: $1885/person
- Includes guides, hut hosts, breakfasts, apres ski beer and wine, dinners (BYO lunches), sleeping bags at each hut, and hut fees.
- Offered in partnership with the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association.
The completion of the interconnected hut system linking Aspen to Vail coincided with the return of the FIS World Alpine Championships to Vail in 1989. Aspen was the first U.S. resort to host the championships in 1950.
The inaugural Benedict 100 Tour allowed skiers commemorating the return of the world championships to travel from Aspen to Vail by way of the 10th Mountain Division Huts.
Ski legends, runners, and backcountry skiers relayed a special flag to honor the link between the 1950 and 1989 championships from the top of Aspen mountain, down through town, up the Hunter Frying Pan drainage, across the mountains to the Polar Star Inn, and finishing at the Beaver Creek resort. Since the inaugural tour, the route has been altered with the completion of additional huts on the eastern side of the hut system, allowing the tour to end in Vail Village.
Since 1989 the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association has run the Benedict 100 tour and now partners with Paragon Guides and Aspen Alpine Guides who organize and guide the tour on alternating years. Paragon Guides was proud to be a part of this legacy for the 2015 season. For highlights, visit Paragon’s Facebook page and jump to January 2015 posts.
Click the link below for a detailed itinerary, trip information and reservation form. Potential trip participants are phone interviewed by our Senior Guide Staff to ensure the appropriate choice of this trip. Contact Paragon via phone or email to begin this process.
Contact email@example.com or call 970-926-5299 for more information.